Boiler, Steam Generator, Process Heater
Regulation 9-7 Compliance Advisory
Effective January 1, 2011, Regulation 9, Rule 7 requires certain boilers, steam generators and process heaters to be registered with the District and comply with the emission limits set forth in the rule. To determine if your boiler is subject to this rule please address the following applicability requirements:
- the rated heat input is less than 1 MM Btu/hr (30 Boiler horsepower) or
- the rated heat input is less than or equal to 2 MM Btu/hr (60 Boiler horsepower) and the boiler is fired using only natural gas or LPG.
If either of the above apply you are exempt. No further action is required.
- the rated heat input is greater than 2 MM Btu/hr and less than 10 MM Btu/hr
- the boiler is fired using only natural gas or LPG
- the boiler is not located at a petroleum refinery
- the boiler is not used to generate electricity
If all of the above apply your boiler is required to be registered. Please complete the Boiler Registration Form.
If your boiler is not exempt and it does not qualify for registration then a permit is required. Contact the BAAQMD Engineering Division for assistance permitting your boiler.
If you have questions regarding the requirements of Regulation 9, Rule 7, please contact Julian Elliot at (415)749-4705.
If you have questions regarding the registration process for boilers, please contact the Engineering Division at (415)749-4990.